Resources and Recs
Local (Winston Salem):
In my search for Lofstrand crutches, in which I needed to find not just affordable crutches, but input/advice/guidance on mobility aides in general:
Forsyth Medical Supply --
- did not take insurance; no discount offered
- crowded store
- not much guidance offered
- genuinely helpful and engaged
- does take insurance
- does not sell crutches or wheelchairs -- only orthotics and prosthetics
Holladay Medical Supply --
- somewhat difficult to navigate
- does not file insurance, but offers affordable pricing
- genuinely caring and helpful; spending a significant amount of time researching options and finding the best solution
Bonus points: a friend seconds the Holladay recommendation, due to their help and assistance when she was caring for a family member.
Advanced Home Care --
- seems to specialize in lift chairs, walkers, wheelchairs, and breathing equipment
- helped fix the walking sticks with a few extra parts
- only offered one (poorly designed) pair of crutches
- does file insurance
- offered out-of-the-box solutions
The Blog Recommends:
If you're specifically looking for crutches, I think the best bet is Holladay.
If you are looking for crutches and need to file insurance, the best bet is to keep looking.
But if you're looking for equipment or mobility aids aside from crutches, I'd recommend everyone except Forsyth Medical. They weren't terrible, just not as good as the rest.