Welcome to Georgia Gameday, yal
I'm not going to sugar-coat it, it's been a rough couple weeks and the bulldogs are going to be a tough game. But the football cats taking the field today are the same ones who beat SC and Missouri, so Anything Is Possible, and I will keep telling myself that as long as I can.
A lot has been said about the individual players (QB, especially), but for me it comes to this -- I can handle a tough loss, and I can handle mistakes -- we're still building a team, after all. But the thing is, even when we win we don't always look like we know what we're doing. It's like our entire strategy is: 'get out there and try something'.
Win or lose, here are the things that I'm hoping for today:
- Fundamentals. Like, say, correct number of players on the field (looking at you, special teams). Or the players lining up right. Or knowing who they're covering. I'm just sayin, if we've got to start somewhere, it's a suggestion. Maybe even pick a junior coach and give him a checklist.
- Back-to-basics play calling. I swear it's like someone ripped up the playbook, tossed it in a helmet, shook it up, and then coach pulls one out and says 'nah that's too obvious'. And then does the opposite. If we lose by running smart plays, so be it, but please lets start basing them on things like field position, and time left on the clock.
- An overall game-wide strategic vision. I'm not saying we should ignore the chance to use good players who are having a great night. But we need to get into a rhythm, so the players are able to get a feel for what's going on and there's less confusion. Seriously, there are times when I swear the players look as confused as I am about what happened. And that's not good.
Break it down. Get back to basics. Get a big-picture strategy.
If we lose games playing good football I will feel like we are at least building a good foundation for next year.
The good news is, this is a young team with a lot of potential that has another year to grow into themselves. They've already come a long way, and it's been a long time since Kentucky fans have had much to love about football season.
But enough talk of losing games - it's a good day to #BeatGeorgia!
The Saturday notes:
- Apparently there was a Player's Only meeting called. I have no idea what that means, but every time I hear about it I think about this
- Who are the UGA Bulldogs. Well, apparently they had a weird week of their own....
- Weird enough we might have a shot.
And then there was Basketball
- I'm always nervous about how the new group will work everything out in the first few games, but this team is already so much fun.
- The potential threats looming over the season ahead. Hint: watch out for el nino, it'll sneak up on anybody
- And a good look at the nonconference games
Football kickoff: 12 noon @ Athens, Georgia
(Whew, that's early! I really got used to the night games and having all day for chores... and sleeping in...)
Basketball: the 13th and 14th in the Naismith games